Friday, March 27, 2015

Current Issue

Note: This entry was wrote around January,2015. So it might not be as new.
In the International Context, Islamic extremist have broken into the headquarters of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killed around 12 people including the Chief editor, two cartoonists, and a French Police Officer. After the attack, France raised the alert level to its highest point: terror alert, and deployed troops in Ile-de-France, and Picardy. Days after the attack, the French police persecuted the suspects around Paris, who then went to a signage company, and took hostages, finally the suspects were killed by the police when they exited the building. After these events, political leader from around the world, and Eric Holder (Obama was not able to attend due to security issues), Chief of the Department of Justice of the US, met in Paris for a rally of national unity. In the social networks, people used “#JesuisCharlie” to express their solidarity to the French people.

I looked for some cartoons of Charlie Hebdo, to know what kind of humor they used in their cartoons, and many of them were so disgusting (Oh my Gosh) that I was not impressed on why terrorists attacked them. But while I don’t agree the way in which Charlie Hebdo makes its points, I advocate for the freedom of speech that every country should have, and paraphrasing a philosopher (I think Voltaire) “I might not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it”. So yeah, Je suis Charlie.
enhanced-buzz-wide-4797-1420999813-12.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment